Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have basic information on AAHGS 2021?
- AAHGS was founded in 1977 in Washington, DC, by a small group of historians and genealogists who felt a need to share resources and methodology for pursuing historical and genealogical research. For more than 43 years, our members have worked together to trace the historical ties that bind us one to another, mold the present, and shape the future. We operate as a national organization with local affiliate chapters. The national organization is responsible for maintaining the website, producing publications, hosting the annual conference, maintaining communications and promoting the work of AAHGS on a national level. Members of AAHGS are a diverse group of people of various ages, ethnicities, and professions - all united in their desire to preserve our past as way of enabling our future. For demographic information please visit our Sponsorship page.
I am coming from out of town. Where should I stay?
- AAHGS 2021 Conference will be a virtual conference, you can enjoy from the comfort of your home.
What is the AAHGS 2020 Code of Conduct policy?
- Read the AAHGS 2021 Code of Conduct here.
How do I become an AAHGS 2021 exhibitor?
- To become an exhibitor, go to our Exhibitors information page. For information, including pricing, email us at exhibitor@AAHGS.org.
How do I become an AAHGS 2021 sponsor?
- Sponsorship opportunities are available for evening events, keynote sessions, tech lounges, presentation tracks, and more. For more information on AAHGS 2021 sponsorship opportunities, please email us at sponsor@AAHGS.org.
What time will exhibitors be able to set up and tear down?
- This years conference will be a virtual conference, additional information on setup will be provided.
When will the mobile app go live?
- The AAHGS 2021 app will become available in early September.
Will sessions of the conference be streamed online?
- Yes. Similar to past years, we will stream several sessions of the conference live on our website. Once the conference is over, recordings of these sessions will be posted on our website for a limited time. You also have the option of purchasing a virtual pass to gain access to a larger variety of classes.
Are streaming sessions available for download?
- No, they are available for a limited time to view as a recording on the AAHGS 2021 website.
Are there activities for youth at AAHGS 2021?
- Young people (ages eight and up) will be participating in a number of the online activites
What is the cost to attend AAHGS 2021?
- See our Registration page for information on fees.
How do I register?
- You can register by clicking the Register button at the top of any page in the website. If you need assistance, please email info@AAHGS.org.
My spouse and I share an email address. Why can’t I use one email for both of us?
- Our registration system requires each user to have a unique email address as a way to identify you specifically. If you need an email address for your spouse, you can create a free email address using services like Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo.
How do I add a discount code to an existing registration?
- Email us at info@AAHGS.org with your registration confirmation number and your discount code. We'll apply the code and issue a refund if the code qualifies for one.
I forgot to enter my membership/discount code. What can I do?
- If you forgot to enter your discount code, just cancel the registration and reapply with the code to receive the discounted price.
Is there a student discount?
- A discount is available for students who are registered at an accredited school (high school, college, university, or online program) and have some form of valid credentials proving their status as a student (such as student ID, registration letter, valid class schedule, etc.). School faculty and staff do not qualify for the student discount. Email your documentation to email@example.com to receive the discount.
Can I pay with a check rather than a credit card?
- All registration is handled online, and only credit card and debit card payments are accepted. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover. (Please note: do not enter spaces when entering the credit card number.)
What is the cancellation or transfer policy?
- If you cancel your paid registration before 11:59 p.m. September 15, 2021, you will receive a refund equal to the cost of your paid registration and all prepurchased items (including but not limited to lunches, labs, evening events, prepaid bags, and so forth) minus a $25 processing fee.
- There will be no refunds for cancellations completed after September 15, 2021.
- If you are unable to attend but would like to transfer your registration to a friend, please contact us at info@AAHGS2021.org. Registration transfer requests must be received before 12:00 a.m. October 1, 2021. After this time, transfer requests cannot be accommodated. There is a $35 fee to transfer your registration.
- If you are concerned that you may have to cancel (due to illness, death in the family, or other unforeseen circumstances), you may purchase trip cancellation/ travel insurance from the company of your choice to Reimburse you for conference fees and travel expenses. (Please be advised that AAHGS, Inc. does not endorse any specific travel insurance carriers.)
Why are you asking for demographic information?
- Our sponsors and exhibitors must provide certain information to their finance departments for funding to participate in the Expo Hall. Our providing very general information on who is attending the conference allows our sponsors and exhibitors to provide justification for participating in the conference and providing critical information to our attendees.
This year's conference will be a virtual conference, you can enjoy from the comfort of your home.
When is registration/check-in?
- This year's conference will be a virtual conference, you can enjoy from the comfort of your home.
I’ve not done a virtual conference before, what should I do in advance and are their any helpful tips you can suggest?
Start working on you 45 to 50 minute PowerPoint (or similar) presentation; make sure you can record yourself (video and audio); if you feel the need for privacy invest in a green board and learn how to make a virtual scenescape behind you; and anticipate a schedule to come around July 1st to begin to conduct virtual recordings. The tentative last day for recordings will be August 15th, but more details will be provided under separate cover.
We can offer a lot of additional suggestions, but for additional insights this is one of the best web sites: https://convene.com/catalyst/virtual-presentation-tips/
What is the preferred method of a video file?
PowerPoint is the recommended format, it can be saved as a MP4 file.
Since AAHGS is going virtual can the video file be something other than a narrated PowerPoint …it would allow for more flexibility in content?
Yes. However, if you are going to use an alternative format, please make sure you are well versed in the technology of your proposed software.
I submitted several proposals to the conference which one was approved?
In the Cvent automated letter sent, the title of the approved presentation should have been provided. Nonetheless, please go to the AAHGS web page at AAHGS.org …then go to the Conference tab …then go to the Program tab … then go to the Agenda tab. All of the selected presentations are provided. Please verify the wording; also please go to the Speakers tab and verify the information provided in your bio.
Is a syllabus required for each presentation?
Yes. Our audience would like to know what the session is about and its objectives, what will be covered, and what they will learn from the session at its conclusion.
Is a syllabus required for panel sessions?
Yes. Our audience would like to know what the panel is about its objectives, who the subject matter experts are, what will be covered, and what they will learn from the session at its conclusion.
If anyone drops out of presenting, I'd be more than happy to do additional presentations if needed.
We have an extensive field of presenters on the bench. When and if a presenter drops out, a new presenter will be selected based on their total ranking by the Evaluation Team.
Is there an opportunity to serve as a Subject Matter Expert on one of the panels?
We will make known to the facilitator of each panel of potential panel members/subject matter experts based on the information received in this round of proposals.
Have you got graphics, so that I can start alerting my social media colleagues about the event?
Yes they will be provided and once they are ready they will be uploaded uploaded to this page and/or sent out in a email to all speakers/panel members.
Do speakers get free access to the online conference?
Yes. Information will be sent under separate cover in August.
Will the online sessions be recorded or live and what platform (like zoom)?
There will recorded and live presentations on Zoom platform.